Friday, June 18, 2010

Inking attempts: G-pen and Maru

You may recall my last post was where I showed off the initial results of my inking with a Saji pen nib. This post is also about trying out pen nibs, and will probably be the last one for a while about the initial results.


G-pen
The first set of images are from a G-pen. This particular nib has been mentioned in a few books on inking from Japan, and I can kinda see why. It's a nice nib, giving a lot of variety and gave me pretty good control overall. The lines seem very nice to my eye.
What I Learned from My Attempt
I'm not sure if it was because I knew what to expect from the previous attempt or if the nib was just better, but the ink flowed more smoothly. There wasn't as much catching on the paper that I had with the Saji. I knew from this test that in the foreseeable future, I'll be using the G-pen nib for inking.



Maru
This is the last of the trial set I had ordered. Unlike the previous two, the Maru pen nib is meant for fine lines, so if you're someone who wants thin lines, go with this one. It does have some flexibility, so there is variety available, but thin lines are its strength.
This is the messier of the two attempts posted tonight. The cape is thicker and messier because I attempted to do some inking with a brush, which clearly wasn't that great. The smudges came from my hand getting into the ink, Deleter Black 2, which hadn't dried yet when my hand went over it.
What I Learned from My Attempt
This is another nib that caught on the paper, or felt like it. I got the overall thin lines I wanted, and slightly thicker ones with only a little effort. The Maru is probably not the best option if you want to fill blacks. It is not good for places where you want solid black, like the pupils and the eyelashes. Curves were a little tricky, but that may be due to my inexperience.


For now, most of my inking attempts will be made with the G-pen, but I can imagine ways of using the Maru. The Saji will probably be used once I get better with inking in general and can better manipulate it. Using all three in an image is not out of the question.


So that's it right now on my inking. Future posts will be back to progress and finished images.

No comments: